Monday, August 9, 2010

Fit Prizes and Dry Fruit

Every Saturday morning, I get a box of organic vegetables from www.abundantharvestorganics.com. It's a really cool thing if you are trying to get more organic in as fresh and cost effective way as possible. You don't get to choose what you get, but that's part of the fun. Each week, you get the freshest harvest of what's in season. There's usually stuff that you have no idea what to do with, in which case I "Google" and learn what it is and how to cook/use whatever it is. Sometimes, you keep getting something you don't really like. They do have a trade box so sometimes that comes in handy. This last week, I got more potatoes and I don't really eat a lot of potatoes. I decided to use them for the Ultimate Fit prize. Whoever "won" the workout got the surprise. Congrats, Cory!!! And you win....Organic POTATOES!!!! Enjoy!!!
You can also add on different things that they offer...all organic....meat, nuts, cheese, eggs, beans, oats, even fish. This last week they were offering 15lbs of cosmetically challenged stone fruit for 9.00. That could be things like peaches, nectarines, or plums that are a bit scuffed or have a spot or something like that. So, I took the chance. Why not? I like all those fruit and I still have Drew's dehydrator from the overload of persimmons back in December from Joe. Drew only uses his dehydrator for deer jerky and he hasn't gone hunting and now that he just had ACL reconstructive surgery, I doubt he's going hunting anytime soon. Coincidentally, he came by the gym in a big brace and crutches :( Get on that rehab!!!
So the other project in my fermenting lab is nectarine dehydrating.

No comments: